The first thought that comes to mind is what if I owned one of the best recliners on the market! A bench at the front porch outside? Might be a good option, but in winter it is always really cold while in summer instead of sipping on your cup of coffee and trying to have a quiet time alone you will be fighting off bugs and mosquitos constantly trying to suck on some blood. Well, a living room couch? Mmm… sounds cozy, but there is a better alternative.
You work hard for your money spending your valuable time and energy, therefore you deserve to take a break and relax in the best way possible. A recliner, the product that started filling up the markets just recently, with more and more people leaning towards buying one instead of a sofa. Keep on reading if you want to know why!
- 1 The Best Price Effective Recliners
- 1.1 Dorel Living Slim Recliner
- 1.2 ACME 00632 Arcadia Recliner, Oakwood Chocolate Microfiber
- 1.3 Flash Furniture BT-7862-BK-GG Contemporary Black Leather soft Recliner/Ottoman with Wrapped Base
- 1.4 Giantex Manual Recliner Chair Black Lounger Leather Sofa Seat Home Theater
- 1.5 Best Selling Davis Fabric Recliner Club Chair, Light Beige
- 2 The Best Recliners for Investment in Comfort
- 3 The Best Recliners that are Feature Packed
- 4 A Little Bit of History…
- 5 So Why Make the Best Recliners?
- 6 Advantages of a Reclining Chair
- 7 How to Choose the Best Recliners?
- 8 How Do I Care For My New Recliner?
The Best Price Effective Recliners
|Dorel Living Slim Recliner||B||$|
|ACME 00632 Arcadia Recliner||B+||$$|
|Flash Furniture Contemporary Leather Recliner||A||$|
|Giantex Manual Recliner||A||$$$|
|Davis Fabric Recliner||B+||$$|
Meet your action packed hero in a turtle shell! The Dorel Living Slim Recliner is perfect for those rooms where space is a luxury and effective use of it is a must. If you have a city apartment or just a smaller room, then the Dorel will work perfectly.
This is a super easy recliner to assemble, but a tip for those who are awaiting their orders, make sure you assemble the chair in the location that you plan on keeping it.
In terms of size, it’s positives can also be it’s negatives as those of us who are over the 5ft mark may struggle to keep the chair in a fully reclined position. From our initial testing, the chair was a little sensitive to movement when in the fully reclined position. The movement would cause the chair to snap back into it’s upright position. However, this issue is not to uncommon on lower priced chairs such as this one.
For the price, this is a really great deal. The arms and back are very puffy in a way that I like. A lot of furniture today has much puff in it’s pillows but can still feel like a rock because of the quality of materials. This is not the case here, we found this chair feels great to cosy up into.
There are a few things you should be aware of though. We tested the size of the seat and for a larger person it can feel a little narrow. However, for an average sized person this will be perfect. You will also need to “break-in” the reclining function, we found this a little stiff when straight out of the box, but after a few days of usage, it was reclining like a ninja.
| Easy assembly|
Efficient use of space
Great value at a low cost
| Taller people may find it a little small|
Sensitive to movement when fully reclined
Need a chair quickly? Need one of the best recliners that does the job it’s says it will on the label? Well, the ACME Arcadia Recliner is the chair for you. This recliner serves a great purpose of quickly and easily filling a small space in your room with a comfortable chair. So comfortable in fact that I almost feel asleep twice while testing it out.
Clearly by the price point, this is your bang for buck chair which would be perfect for the occasional user who wants something that is a cinch to put together. Basically snap the back half of the chair onto the bottom and you’re done.
Have pets? Great! The recliner is covered with a polyester microfiber that will result in a slightly rougher feeling that many domestic animals tend to appreciate, namely cats and dogs. However, the down side is that this couch is prone to easily stain, so just make sure that you place a protective layer between the couch and your pet’s bodily outputs.
The padding on the chair is very comfortable and you tend not to sink in to a ever lasting pit like some other recliners we have tested recently. Over time, be sure to keep an eye on how the padding shifts as you start to mould your grove into the chair. We have seen some cases of padding being pushed into the reclining corners of the couch causing the reclining function to faultier over time.
One interesting quirk we found was the strength of the spring on the foot rest of the chair. It’s a little too strong in our opinion and makes the leg rest a little more difficult than necessary to retract back into the chair. This may however just be the case of a newer spring that needs some time to loosen up a little.
| Super comfortable for long periods|
Popular online for years now
| Prone to staining|
Footrest difficult to retract
This is the one of the best recliners for the modern apartment looking to maximise space while keeping a sleek interior design look. This chair will fit into most modern homes with it’s attractive exterior and be loved by it’s owners for it’s comfortable padding.
We put this chair through the most rigorous of tests – as a gaming chair / house entertainment room chair, and it passed both with flying colours. The back is very high for a recliner which makes this chair perfect for taller people. Furthermore, we could not find any slant in the front of the chair, this means it’s perfect for a quick kip while putting no pressure on your knees to hold you in a comfortable position.
Assembly of the chair of relatively straight forward. You will need the tools provided in the box, however, if you have your own tool-set, it’s probably best you whip that out at this point.
Circling back to our testing environment, the reason we dropped it into a gaming household was the swivel ability of the chair. It provides the versatility for seating when hosting many guests, or the frantic movement of playing a console game in front of the TV.
In terms of comfort, you are sacrificing a little bit of comfort here for appearance, as although we felt the chair fit the room perfectly, we also felt a little bit of the chair when we sat on it for longer periods of time. This might also be the case because the leather of the chair is not real, giving you that “pleather” feeling on the skin. I would recommend combining the chair with a nice pillow set that may add the additional comfort needed.
Overall, a highly recommended buy for consumers who want to dip their toes into the range of best recliners world at a great price, without taking up too much space and all while keeping the home looking stylish.
| Stylish recliner for the modern home|
No frontward slant
| Sacrifices comfort for style|
Some assembly needed
Tall? Want no hassles? And desperately want to relax? Then the Giantex is your godsend. This simple and space effect manual recliner is perfect for the taller (as well as shorter) sized person. The high back, combined with lock in reclining functionality allows you to lay back and nod off for the rest of the afternoon. For assembly, I couldn’t ask for anything more, it practically came pre-built in the box. So once you unwrap, make some adjustments, you’re pretty much ready to sit back and relax.
Unlike other chairs we have reviewed here we found the build and parts of the Giantex chair to be of a better quality in terms of the overall price that one would pay for the chair such as this. Our testing has been going on for 8 months now and we found no issues in the recline function or loosing of the foot rest springs.
These chairs would serve those who are looking to buy in multiples for such things as a home movie theatre or a manicure salon. They offer the creature comforts of having your nails done in luxury while not consuming nearly as much space as a saloon chair.
The main issue we found however is that the width is not very forgiving if you are a little wider. Some of the best recliners compensate for wider width by allowing the padding to re-mould around your body. However, with the Giantex chair, if you don’t fit, you ain’t going to be sitting in this chair at all.
Overall, this chair was one of our favorites for it’s sleek appearance combined with comfort that should last you for years to come and at a price tag that you just can’t turn down.
| Great for taller people|
Good quality parts
Perfect for multiple chairs in a row
| Unforgiving for the wider individual|
Little more expensive
This modern and chic recliner is a steal at it’s current price as it looks expensive and feels like it should be too. You can understand why this is one of Amazon’s most popular and best recliners when you combine all it’s positives together.
Firstly, let’s review the crafting of the optics of the chair. I asked some friends the other night how much they think I paid for this chair and they replied with at least triple the amount that I’m out of pocket, not to mention how gobsmacked they were to hear the real price.
Where I feel the designers saved some money though is the material used for the chair. It may look nice, but it does not feel as good on the skin as some of the more expensive recliners would feel. Saying that, picking up a low cost sheep skin throw over would solve this issue immediately. This would also protect the fabric from stains as it’s not stain resistant at all (possibly some scotch guard spray would not go astray either).
Another great positive going for this recliner is it’s recline function. Straight out of the box it felt like it had been “wore in” already, no stiffness or extra spring like we found on some of the other recliners, it just felt right. Furthermore, it didn’t loose this tension over time. The chair has been used now for 4 months and it still feels like the same easy to recline strength as when it first removed it from the box.
We found the cushioning to be a little more stiff than compared with the other recliners, but once the chair found our groves, it tended to keep that shape. This made it much easier to hope up as well as sit down.
| Modern and expensive looking chair at great price|
Smooth recline function straight out of box
Cushioning finds groove quickly and holds
| Fabic does not feel the best on the skin|
Not stain resistant
The Best Recliners for Investment in Comfort
|Dorel Living Padded Dual Massage Recliner||B*||$$|
|Flash Furniture Contemporary Leather Recliner||A||$$|
|Relaxzen Leisure Recliner||A-||$|
|Monarch Specialties Leather Swivel Glider Recliner||A+||$$$|
Welcome to the introductory level of a combined recliner / massage chair. Dorel has done a wonderful job in trying to pack the features of a more expensive recliner into an affordable and well sized recliner.
The first great advantage this chair has over it’s competitors in this price bracket is that it reclines entirely to offer you the full relaxation experience. You will find that some of the chairs do not recline entirely or are very fragile when in full recliner mode. Once you’re done relaxing, the chair has an excellent built in “rock forward” function to assist you standing up. This is especially handy when your legs feel like jelly after waking up from a cosy nap on the chair.
Dorel aren’t done there though, they have thrown in a basic head and leg massager that is controlled with a simple remote on the side. However, keep in mind, this is only an entry level massaging mechanism, so it’s basically sending vibrations through your neck and legs. The downside to is that it can be a little loud and not something you can leave on for longer periods of time.
The padding on the chair is very comfy with the microfiber the fabric showing nicely stitched lines.
This chair is highly recommended for new moms who have a nursery area they love to escape to while feeding or caring for their newborns. The vibration of the massaging functionality can offer a soothing feeling for your young one. At the price of the chair, it does not have to be a long term commitment, so as your child grows you will not have to be forced to find ways hide the chair as it’s useful lessens.
| Combines massage and reclining function at entry level price|
Massage remote control
Vibration excellent for new moms cradling young ones
| Vibration loud|
Lever recline only
Flash Furniture BT-7818-BGE-GG Contemporary Beige Leather Recliner and Ottoman with Swiveling Mahogany Wood Base
For those following along at home, may have noticed that this is the upgrade model of the earlier chair we reviewed with the “wrapped base”. This is because we have to admit, we are kind of fans of the Flash Furniture range, they make cost effect, sleek and functionally best recliners that have passed our tests with flying colors.
So for around $100 more than the base model, you step up in materials and comfort. As mentioned in the name, this model is styled with a mahogany wooden base making it look like a $1,000 recliner at nearly a quarter of the price. Flash Furniture also upped the anti on the padding, adding extra cushioning around the base and head areas.
Assembly was a little longer with this recliner compared to the previous models we tested as we timed having completed building the chair in 45 minutes from the start of the unboxing process. The most complex part was attaching the head onto the base, but the instructions are clear enough to help you through.
Keep in mind that this is not a fully reclinable chair, the angle would be just over 45 degrees at most. We found ourselves not entirely falling asleep on the chair, but it was definitely comfortable enough for a power snooze.
One last point worth noting is that the chair is available in a nice array of colors to suit any living space. This is often a luxury not afforded in the reclining chair world, so be sure to find the right color for your home.
| Style mahogany base stands out|
Comfortable chair with moderate padding
Available in multiple colors
| Not fully reclinable|
Little longer to assemble than most chairs
Meet the smooth operator of the best recliners world, the Relaxzen talks the talk and walks the walk. This chair appeals to the shopper looking for a recliner with high end functionalities combined with a modern appeal.
The first advantage out of the blocks is that Relaxzen have cut a great balance between padding and style. If you stand on the side of the fence that says many of the recliners on the market are overpadded, then look no further, you have your winner. The even better news is that we have sat in the chair a combined many hours and it’s still remaining quite comfortable to sit and relax in.
“It’s getting hot in here, so take off all your clothes..” or something like that. While it may not become that hot, the recliner has a sweet heating feature that serves wonders on a cold winters evening in front of the TV. And while your back is warming up, you can switch on the vibration to further subdue and relax those tired muscles. Unlike the massage feature on the previous chair we reviewed where the massage was a constant vibration, this chair sends out pulses which which we found very relaxing for the lower back muscles.
The only downside here is that you have to have the heat on if you want the massage working too. Strange design decision, but I’m sure they had their reasons. Heating and massage are all controlled via the handy remote on the side of the chair.
We found assembly for this chair a little more time consuming than most, so be sure to follow the instructions carefully. Tools are provided, but if you have your own on hand, that would be very useful.
| High end functionalities at good price|
Tech tech massaging that heats you up too
Good balance of padding and comfort
| Heating has to be on at the same time as massaging functions|
Little longer to assemble than most chairs
This white knight is a little on the higher price range for our “investment in comfort” category. However, we couldn’t overlook the Monarch Specialties Recliner. This white, leather reclining chair will easily blend into any interior you might have in your home while offering all who seat on it’s throne a delightfully relaxing experience.
This recliner features a retractable footrest system which helps you gain the most comfortable position and is hidden while retracted. While this chair is not computer operated, it is still easy to use as it reclines and swivels around. The bold and fashionable white, leather recliner will add some class to any living room.
Monarch Specialties recliner will only take about 40 inches of space in any direction, which is not a lot, and it weighs around 88 lbs fully assembled. Don’t be fooled by the statistics however, because from all accounts, this chair can fit most shapes and sizes very easily.
Similar to the other sleek best recliners we have already reviewed, this chair does not over do the padding while still keeping a sustained level of comfort (even after 10 months of use so far).
Putting the chair together was a simple as pie and if you have any silicone spray handy, I would recommend applying some under the arms and in between the cranks of the chair. Since doing this you can barely hear a peep out of the chair as it reclines.
Keep in mind that the chair does not recline without putting up the footrest. However, you will be able to rock and swivel very comfortably.
| High end functionalities at good price|
Tech tech massaging that heats you up too
Good balance of padding and comfort
| Heating has to be on at the same time as massaging functions|
Little longer to assemble than most chairs
The Best Recliners that are Feature Packed
|MSG Massage Recliner||B||$$$|
|Flash Furniture Plush Leather Rocker Recliner||A||$$$|
|HomCom Deluxe Heated Vibrating Recliner||B-||$|
This is one recliner that you won’t find many, if not any, negative reviews for. We have tested the MSG recliner for well over a month now and love it. The first and very noticeable advantage is the ergonomic design that can accommodate a person of almost all shapes and sizes. You can take extra advantage of the adjustable head rest which is a feature rarely seen on modern day best recliners. From our measurements, the height of the seat and the width from arm to arm is 18.5” and the width from arm to arm is 20.9”. In terms of size though, we did feel more pressure on our legs and usual and believe that the chair could be an inch or two higher.
The great stand out functionality is that you can use the heat and massage functionality separately. This is good because it’s normally common for the best recliners in this price bracket to make these two functions dependant on each other to run.
The leather feeling of the material is soft and caressing on the skin, we also found it quickly matched your body temperature. So if you have forgotten to turn on the heating function prior to sitting on the chair, the embrace of the cold leather is not long lasting at all.
Of the 8 massage modes available, we particularly enjoyed level 4 or 5. These modes cut a great balance with pushing tension out of our backs while not feeling uncomfortable or uneasy which some other recliner massage functions tend to do.
Did we forgot to mention the cup holders? Definitely not! We used these regularly as they surprisingly fit almost all drink diameter sizes that we could throw at them.
| Accommodates all shapes and sizes|
Heats and massages separately and together
Leather + cup holders!
| Some unnecessary massage functions|
Wider chair, not for narrow spaces
The recliner is 66′ depth, 42′ height, 40′ width by 39′. You’re right in thinking that this recliner is a little wider than your average recliner on the market. But this extra width accounts for the extra padding in the seat, back and arm rests. The other measurement we love here is the height, it stands around 2′ taller than most recliners we have reviewed.
This is an extremely comfortable chair that neither of us could give up once we were nestled in and cosy. One of the main reasons for this is that the chair tends to sit more upright when not reclined. An experienced recliner would know that this places much less stress on your legs and does wonders for the comfort of the chair. We were so impressed with this recliner we took our review one step further to investigate the mechanics under the chair. We were happy to find a good quality build which was surprising the price and comfort of the chair.
Assembly was a breeze as there wasn’t much to put together, the chair arrived mostly intact and ready to serve. The material is a vinyl making it super easy to maintain and reasonably easy to remove most stains.
The only drawback we could find was the state of the packaging when the chair arrived at our door. There was damage to the box and scruff marks everywhere. Luckily for us, the chair inside was unharmed.
| Our favorite recliner!|
Great dimensions and well thought out design
Sits more upright when not reclined
| Vinyl can be hard to maintain|
Packaging was very damaged on arrival
HomCom presents a fully remote controlled recliner which will move to your desired position with a press of a button. It also features the ability to recline for up to 180 degrees and to spin 360 degrees in any direction. Moreover, if you live in one of the northern states, with this recliner you will never feel cold again on any chill night: HomCom Deluxe has got a built-in heater which you can easily activate with a remote.
On a negative note though, we have read about experiences of users who have been using the recliner all day everyday. They report that the foam padding does tend to deteriorate and move into problematic areas. So far we haven’t experienced this ourselves, but if you are looking for a recliner with those usage requirements in mind, maybe this one is not for you.
For those coffee lovers, you do not have to be afraid of spilling your favorite beverage anymore with two convenient cup holders inserted in either armrest. Check this one out! It comes in several different colors and you can pick one that fits your living room interior best.
| Good value mid range recliner|
Fully reclines and holds it’s position under movement stress
Heater warms up really quickly
| Not designed for all day, everyday use|
Little wider than similar recliners in the category
A Little Bit of History…
The recliner as we know it today was introduced and patented by Daniel F. Caldemeyer of Evansville, Indiana. He did not use the idea of Knabush and Shoemaker, two fellow Americans, who first patented the wooden recliner back in 1928, but instead he developed his unique design based on the science of kinetics he obtained knowledge of while serving in the U.S. Air Force. His design was really helpful to the U.S. government with NASA later using the idea of the seat for space missions Apollo, Gemini and Mercury.
So Why Make the Best Recliners?
And seriously, why buy a reclining chair rather than a traditional couch? Having a recliner has its own perks that the majority of Americans find really useful these days. Even though the very first recliner was introduced in 1850s in France, more than a century and a half ago, the reclining chairs are starting to gain popularity only nowadays. And we will help you see the advantages and pick the best recliners for your home.
Advantages of a Reclining Chair
Having a recliner at home has lots of pros… and zero cons. Check it out:
- Comfort. When you select from the best recliners, rest assured it will become your generator of comfort for years to come. The whole point of buying a reclining chair is to have the option to recline the back as you please. Something you cannot really do with a regular couch. Additionally, for a little extra fee, major recliner manufacturers offer an option to elevate your feet putting you practically in horizontal position while technically still sitting. You can try reading a book or watching TV laying back in that position. However, you will probably become too comfortable and will not resist a nap.
- Space. Think about it. A regular couch can take up to 3 times more space in your living room than a chair. Surely, you will have to allow a little bit of room for the recliner to recline back to. However, compared to a couch it is simply a no-brainer. You can even buy another recliner for your loved one and put it right next to yours and still have lots of space left to fill. While some couch can transform into beds, it is usually a lengthy process as well as disassembled it takes up the whole room. With a recliner, all you have to do is to pull on the lever and have your armchair transform into a comfortable and cozy place to sleep. Just add some fluffy blankets.
- Ease of Use. The majority of the best recliners, even the most comprehensive ones, have only a few levers or buttons (if they are power-regulated) for you to learn how to use. All you have to do is either pull on a lever and adjust the position of the back of your chair or the foot holder, or press a button and the chair will assume the position of your choice. No rocket science degree required.
- Price. Have you checked Amazon? Most recliners cost 2-3 times less than average popular couches. And even if you buy a really cool, zero gravity recliner with back, neck and foot massage features, you are looking to pay around the same amount as for a brand new couch from the furniture store.
How to Choose the Best Recliners?
You decided to buy a recliner! Good choice, good choice. We are excited that you are on the right track. We understand that you might be overwhelmed by the variety of options available on the Internet and we would like to help you out.
- Visit the Local Store. Feeling and touching the recliner you are looking to buy is always better than just looking at the picture of it online. Pay a visit to a local furniture store that has the recliner of your interest in stock and experience every feature of it. Does it recline right? Does it recline enough? Does it have all the features you are looking for in best recliners? Does it fit the interior of your living room? Get answers to these questions and do not just rely on positive reviews online and cute looking picture of a recliner. Try it out for free, talk to an associate at the store about other add-ons you might be interested in, and then go home, log in to Amazon and order the same model delivered to your front door. Buying online is always cheaper anyway.
- Material. Pay close attention to the surface of the recliner and the material it is made of. You might not even know it, but you, your loved one or even your pet might be allergic to some materials the surface or stuffing of the reclining chair might be made of. While you may think it is rather trivial, knowing the material your chair is made of can help prevent unwanted allergic reactions, such as a rash, and help save a visit to your physician and unnecessary hassle obtaining a refund on your brand new recliner.
- Add-Ons. It is 2015, the technology is at its peak with millions of devices out there to help simplify your life and make it more pleasant. For example, for just a few hundred dollars more you can have a back, neck and foot massage. With different settings for massage, such as relaxing, energizing, ‘morning’, ‘night’, rolling or shiatsu, as well as heating and air options, you can help your muscles relax anytime you come home after work, or gym, or even just the morning jog. Now that the best recliners feature many types of these addons it will help you wake up to start a new day or relax and fall asleep within seconds.
- Once Again, Price. You work your butt off for your money. And each one of those dollars is worth preserving. Do not just jump into the first deal you see. Shop around, bargain a little bit, check out the discounted prices if any and then make a decision. Not only should you look into the price of the recliner itself, but also pay attention to the delivery and shipping charges as some shops may be located farther away from your state resulting in higher shipping costs. Also, ask more for your money! Some recliners have longer warranty durations, thus keeping you covered for longer periods of time in case your recliner needs repairs in the future. Spending 15-20 more minutes on Amazon looking for more offers from sellers around the United States and Canada can help you save some real money.
The Best Recliner Reviews
Thanks for the useful tips, but what are your suggestions? To help you out in your search for the best recliner for your home, we have broken down the wide array of options into three main categories:
- Cost effective recliners – shoppers looking for the best bang for their buck. These are simple recliners with differentiation in price depending on size, comfort, and materials used in the chair.
- Invest in comfort recliners – shoppers who don’t mind spending a tad more for that extra bit of relaxation and improved feature set.
- Feature packed recliners – shoppers who need those extra handy recliner features, maybe out of necessity or just love for a comfortable experience.
How Do I Care For My New Recliner?
It’s finally arrived! Your brand new recliner is ready to serve you a life of luxurious comfort. But, how do you ensure this level of sweet comfort is maintained as time plays it part? Easy, here are a few steps you can follow to make sure your recliner keeps in tip top shape:
- Regularly oil the mechanics of the recliner – every 4-6 months apply a few drops of home maintenance oil to the internal levers and spring mechanisms of the recliner. If you hear the recliner making abnormal sounds in between maintenance periods, possibly applying a dab of oil could potentially solve the issues.
- Material care – Depending on the material of the recliner, caring for this material will go a long way to ensuring a enduring recliner:
- Leather – Ensure that you do not place the chair in direct sunlight. Also applying a coating of beeswax will add a layer of protection against staining.
- Micofiber – Regularly air the chair as mircofibers tend to capture and store nasty smells.
- Placement – Make sure you don’t place the chair right up against another piece of furniture or a adjacent walls. Give the recliner a little breathing room to ensure no mold forms on any part of the chair.
And that is all we could tell you at this point about best recliners out there. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and we will be happy to respond shortly!