Little Known Areas In The Home That Can Cause A Fire

March 18th, 2020

Almost all house fires could have been prevented with the proper attention.

The problem is that many people don’t know some of the risks hiding in their home.

Just about everybody has a working smoke detector in the home in case of a fire. And every kitchen should have a fire extinguisher. But, instead of focusing on putting out a fire, we should try to make sure the risk of one starting is minimized as much as possible.

Here are some of the most common causes of fires that you should be aware of.

Dryer Vents

Dryers need to be thoroughly cleaned to prevent fires. Lint build up happens before you know it. It isn’t enough to clean the lint tray once in a while. It should be cleaned after every load of laundry that you dry.

Even if you are on top of your excess lint, it can still accumulate in the dryer vent as not all of it gets trapped.

Dryer vents also can accumulate all kinds of debris that clogs the exhaust and causes the appliance to overheat. This is what causes 9 out of 10 appliance fires in the home. Dryer Vent Cleaning CT can clean out your vent professionally to keep it from causing a fire.

Fireplaces and Chimneys

 Having a fireplace is a great way to heat the house and is often very safe. But you do have to be careful to make sure it doesn’t become a fire hazard.

You should always have a grate on the front of the fireplace to prevent any flying embers from exiting. Then, have a fireproof mat or tiles in front of the fireplace in case some do make it out and don’t catch fire.

Most importantly, have your chimney cleaned often. Creosote builds up inside and is highly flammable. Many houses that catch fire that have fireplaces happen because of dirty chimneys. In case you are wondering, chimney sweeps are still a thing!

Check Your Outlets

An overloaded outlet can heat up to the point it catches fire. If you have too many devices connected to a single outlet, then unplug some and spread them out. If you don’t have enough outlets for your electronics, then try unplugging them when not in use or have an electrician come and add a few to your home.

Also, check for any damage around the outlet as that is a sign that they can cause a fire very easily.

Avoid Using Space Heaters

If you absolutely have to use one, make sure to unplug it when it is not in use.  There are many other heating options are that much safer. And always kept at least three feet away from anything it could ignite like furniture or blankets.

One in every six house fires starts with an errant or malfunctioning space heater. Try to find the kind that are cool to the touch as they are the safest kind you can get. Old ones are dangerous and not very efficient at heating an area.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *