- 1 PRODUCT COMPARISON: BEST 5 AIR PURIFIERS FOR SMOKE
- 2 SECOND-HAND SMOKE SCARY BRIEF
- 3 HOW TO LOOK AFTER YOUR AIR PURIFIER
- 4 REVIEWS OF OUR FAVORITE AND BEST AIR PURIFIERS FOR SMOKE
Whether you are a smoker or not, the stench of stale cigarette smoke in the air is just horrible! And, maybe you insist on smokers smoking outside, but somehow that smell just makes its way inside. Besides, second-hand smoke is just as bad for you as the real deal.
PRODUCT COMPARISON: BEST 5 AIR PURIFIERS FOR SMOKE
|Air Purifier||Purification||Price||Our Rating|
|ATMOSPHERE Air Purifier||A+||$$$$|
**Find below our reviews in detail, and above a simple table. Click on any of the links to be taken to Amazon for full customer reviews and prices.
SECOND-HAND SMOKE SCARY BRIEF
Second-hand smoke contains more than 7000 harmful chemicals. In addition, second-hand smoke can cause cancer – affecting the larynx, pharynx nasal sinuses, brain, bladder and stomach to name but a few.
In children, it can lead to liver cancer, brain tumors, leukemia, and lymphoma. Second-hand smoke can cause children to get sick more often, have lung related illnesses like bronchitis, cough more often and develop ear infections.
Asthma sufferers will most definitely be affected by the smoke that lingers long after a smoker has left.
For infants, it has been known to influence SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome), which while is a gray area, is worth paying attention to.
Do you need more reasons to clear the air of that awful pungent smoke smell? Invest in the best air purifier for smoke - that is what you should be doing! But before you do, here are a few tips to choosing the best air purifier for you.
HOW TO LOOK AFTER YOUR AIR PURIFIER
- First, you want to unplug the unit before attempting any sort of clean up operation. Seems like an obvious first move, but I will have you know most don't think of this and the potential dangers in fiddling around with a live and connected piece of machinery.
- In addition, before unplugging, make sure you have switched off the unit and then wait a minute or two before unplugging from the wall.
- Don't poke in or drop anything into any of the openings of the unit.
- Don't place anything, no matter how light, on top of the unit.
- The purifier should only be used in rooms where the temperature is between 40 and 110 degrees Fahrenheit. Yip, these guys can overheat!
- Clean the outside of the unit with a damp, soft cloth. Do not use any detergents or soap.
- Do not let water into or onto the main housing area.
- Removable filters can be vacuumed gently with a soft suction.
- Filter and vents that cannot be removed can be rubbed with a soft brush or gently vacuumed.
- HEPA and CARBON filters should not be washed. They, generally, get replaced after 6 - 12 months, dependent on the manufacturers instructions.
- Do not pull your air purifier around by the electric cord. This will eventually cause damage and electric issues.
- Do not use the unit if the electric cable is damaged in any manner.
REVIEWS OF OUR FAVORITE AND BEST AIR PURIFIERS FOR SMOKE
|Air Purifier||Purification||Price||Our Rating|
|ATMOSPHERE Air Purifier||A+||$$$$|
Let's begin with a real goodie!
In our happy little house we have a real selection of allergy sufferers, from allergic reactions to pet dander and mold spores, from dust mites to smoke, including, of course, the old favorite, allergy pollen grains. But I found that this air purifier does its job and more.
Blueair claims that it captures 99.97% of 0.1-micron particles, which is awesome and I'm a true believer! Within minutes, we were all breathing easier! A funny little inside story is that my son let off quite a fart and the purifier switched itself on! He will never live this one down!
Air Exchange – Now what is air exchange? I was interested to know too. Basically, this baby changes air 5 times per hour. What does this mean? Simply, this means that it sends the bad air out 5 times in an hour (this pertains to a 365 square foot room), which is a standard sized room in most houses. I liked that they have included a remote, so I could manage the air filter from 20 feet away. i.e. Whilst I was watching the latest episode of Glee!
While it may not seem like a plus to you, that they have an auto mode function that regulates the actual amount of particles and gas contaminants in the air, I found this to be quite huge. If the unit just filtrated the same way all the time, and there happens to be an influx of bad air particles on a particular day, it won't get rid of all of it. This way, you can be assured of the freshest air. I certainly noticed the difference when we had friends over who smoked. Besides all its fancy functions the most impressive for me was that my family reported feeling better and breathing easier. That gets a two-thumbs up! From amazing to awesome -
Atmosphere brings us a unique product in that, with its IntelliSense Technology you can press one button and control the environment in your entire house or office. I love simple!
I was most impressed by their Turbo Power function will clear the air of impurities, in a 390 square foot room, in seconds. Proven! We tested it and we were blown away! (excuse the pun). In my house, noise is part of the furniture and having an apparatus that, while it helps us breathe in fresh air, makes a hell of a noise, does not sit well with me. Atmosphere's Pureflow System is quiet until you put it on to full power. However, if you play with the power option it does quieten down a bit.
Note to self - remember to change the filters or it does affect the quality. And not the cheapest, in fact, a bit heavy on the pocket, but there is something to be said for quality. Love this guy!
360 Degrees of Pure
Austen Air brings us a truly hot number here. My husband struggles to sleep most nights and when I read that their filter technology has a profound effect on ones enhanced sleep patterns he grabbed this with both hands. So, after the first night I asked him if it had made a difference and with bright, puffy-less eyes, he smiled and that was all the answer I needed.
Because it has a 360-degree intake system i.e. all the sides are utilized, you are assured of maximum filtering for a fresh room. We liked this a lot as it meant we didn't have to be rotating the unit every few hours.
If you need your unit to be mobile then this is the guy for you. The wheels make for an easily moved unit – so you can use him in any room that has a power supply. A little downer was that the wheels sometimes stick as you roll her, but not a train-smash really. While not the prettiest looking purifier, it does do its job well. Big high five here!
Natural and Nice
HoMedics was a pleasure! We could pick up a noticeable difference in the air within minutes.
I loved the programmable 12-hour timer which meant we were getting fresh air continuously and in addition it has an auto-off function too. Simply simple! I didn't have to think about it. And that suits me just fine. Again, a remote control makes it easy to control from anywhere in the room.
I'm a visual kinda gal and the digital LED display screen was great. I could see, quite clearly, what was potting at all times. As he didn't take up much space we could pop him away very easily and a real plus was the super quiet running. No noise pollution! We had our smokey Joe friends over again the other night and the 3-functional speed options came in very handy. As soon as the smoke scent had dissipated we could pop it down to the lowest speed.
Another marvel from Blueair! Touchless Control! A simple wave of my hand had this honey running in no time – no buttons, no dials – just sexy simplicity! I think I'm in love! I loved the tempered glass look as well as it fitted nicely into our decor without standing out either.
- Filter Alarm – A red filter light will show every 6 months or so to indicate when the filter needs to be changed which is a godsend if you just can't remember stuff like this - like me!
- Seamless – he is easy to carry around with its handle and again I just love the seamless design.
- Available in 5 colors – we love this awesome powder pink (hubby is not so sure, though - lol!), but you can choose from graphite black, mocha brown, warm gray and white – whatever your fancy - why not one for each room? (hubby considering ...)
Priced on the higher side, Blueair doesn't come cheap and it pretty much does what some cheaper versions can do. The upside is that it looks a hell of a lot better than its cheaper versions. And there is something to be said for a good looking air purifier.
So, besides that overwhelming and dangerous smoke pollution, you are killing a multitude of other potentially harmful air polluters by investing in an air purifier. So many reasons to go out and buy one of the best air purifiers for smoke … and more!